Sunday 1 May 2011

Do It Properly...

Being very fond of the Guerrilla movement in all its forms (bar warfare), happening upon the Guerrilla Gardeners  filled me with that fuzzy warm joy; it is a brilliant, kind and wholesomely good idea, to brighten up the concrete nightmare of the urban sprawl with pretty flowers, added to which Richard Reynolds is a dish, but that is by the by. It is one thing to appreciate a good deed done by others and to promote it positively in any way is a wonderful thing, by waffling on in exclusive bars whilst supping some horrible martini made from fly-sick and orange pen-ink.... but it isn't getting your hands dirty is it?

So I have done (got my hands dirty that is), and will continue to for this rather nifty organization. Today, as you'll all probably aware is INTERNATIONAL SUNFLOWER PLANTING DAY, and as a dutiful little bunnikin, I took to the streets of Wimbledon.

Blame my anxiety, but something as innocent and simple as planning to plant some seeds in a public area, filled me with a vague sense of worry. Although I was all ready to confront any nay-sayers. Given my general dementedness, I didn't plan this activity in any way, nor did I make a day of it with friends. I just nervously shuffled up to Super-drugs to get my bits. Sunflower seed-pack and pencil in pocket.

My first attempt was a concrete border opposite the bank where lots of bushy, hard-wearing plants have been...er..planted in that nasty weird mulch of wood-chippings and cork, (and doubtless lots of cigarette-butts and used needles), I jabbed my pencil in as my cheeks blushed and tried to squeeze two of the little seedlets in but I doubt given the non-existent soil that anything will grow there.

On the way home, I got some water with the shopping, and proceeded to water a patch of soil outside a condemned area that's overgrown with weeds.... my worry was, have I planted it deep enough.

Literally nowhere else on m y walk was there any soil, I traipsed up a back-road too... but in the end, the road opposite the flat where I currently reside, is where I planted the bulk of it, no longer caring what people thought as they walked by. Got a real dirty look from some senile old man, and in the back of my head, I get that sense that although its' a lovely thing to do, so many people are grubby, angry people who despise the seed-planters... why? :( - Well that's partly rhetorical.

But yes, most enjoyable, I am glad I have planted them, and hope they grow, and the fact that there are nearby where I walk and such, it will be a nice little touch of brightness :D

Now I have the Guerrilla Gardening bug, Viva la Revolution!

2 comments:

  1. From experience, (in regards to public property) if you act like you belong there, no one will suspect a thing, helps if you wear a high vis jacket as well (look professional). I practically dug up a whole roadside next to a roundabout on a Sunday afternoon planting Heathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you sweetheart, I shall employ this in future :D

    ReplyDelete